Occupational Health, Safety & Environmental Management
About this Program
The main aim of HSE Management is to reduce or eliminate harm to staff, damage to company equipment and protect the environment, as well as reduce company’s risk of litigation. This is achieved by making sure the organization complies with relevant regulations and by helping reduce the number of accidents and environmental disasters occurring in the workplace.
HSE Management System defines the principles by which companies conduct operations worldwide with regards to health, safety, and the environment.
This diploma provides general HSE knowledge, from the industry recognized HSE Levels 1-3, it goes beyond this basic industry requirement, through HSE management systems application, and offers students both the Advanced HSE Management, as well as the Senior HSE Manager’s Module of Occupational Health, Safety & Environment Module, which treats Occupational Health on a more elaborate level, and captures the latest Occupational Health & Safety International Standards Organization’s ISO 45001 Standard. Students are taught the differences between the well-known ISO OHSAS 18001, and the emerging 1SO 45001 standards that is set to replace the former, while providing an advanced HSE Management skill-set and maximum take-home delivery to enable HSE personnel function at the top management level. Also the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System will be taught.
In this program, you will study the following topics, in addition to General and FPSO HSE.
Introduction HSE Polices
- Meaning of HSE – Management Systems
- What is HSE-MS
- Scope of HSE-MS
- HSE-MS Components
- The Risk Assessment Matrix (RAM)
- Types of Risks Assessment
- Hazard Analysis definition
- Task Hazard Register
- Task Hazard Control Sheet
- The Supervisor and Safety
- Job Hazard Analysis
- Unsafe Act Audit Report Form
- Permit to work xiv Journey Management
- Defensive Driving
- Incident Report Form
- Accident and Incident Investigation and Reporting
- Environmental Protection ii. Some common Environmental Phenomena
- Environmental Management
- Harmful Environmental condition and exposures
- Waste Management
- Hazards of poor Waste Management
- Some of the agencies involved in Spill Management.
- Safe handling of Chemicals
- Environmental Impact Assessment, Evaluation Report and Statement (EIA, EEA, EIS)
- Aims and objectives of Occupational Health
- The Relationship between Health and Work
- The relationship between a Health Hazard, Accident and Disease
- Types of Occupational Hazards in working Environment
- Assets and types of Assets
- Some security methods for protecting Company Assets
- Site Security Plan/ Emergency Response Procedures
- Security Emergency Response Community Disturbance
- Security Emergency Response, Stealing/ Theft
- Physical Security or Protective Measures
Basic Community Affairs
- Issue in the Niger Delta
- Community Affairs issues
- Company active area to host community
- Roles of communities to oil companies
- Contractor related community issues
- Major issues and concerns to Companies
- Aims of Community development
- Community development Policy
- Transformation from community
- Change from Community Assistance to Community Development
- Benefit of Community Development
Principles and Practice of First Aid
- Aims and Objectives of First Aid
- Qualification of a First Aider
- General rules guiding First Aiders
- Principle and practices of Emergency Management
- Artificial Respiration
- The Technique of Artificial Respiration
- Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Types and Classification of Fires
- Classification of Fire and Extinction Method
- Fire preventive measures
- Method of operating and use of portable fire Extinguishers
At the end this program, candidates would acquire knowledge and skills in:
- Safety awareness, principles and practice.
- Environmental principles, pollution, and practice.
- Occupational health knowledge and implementation.
- Roles of occupational hygienist.
- Relational between a health hazard, a disease and accident.
- Types of occupational hazards in working environment (basic classes of environmental stress).
- The three phases of occupational health programme- assessment, evaluation and control of hazards.
- Industrial hygiene and control.
- Fire prevention, control and protection. to acquaint participant with the basic principles of fire with a view to allying their fear and increase their understanding of fire.
- Understand the nature and properties of fire.
- Know different types and extinguishing media.
- Know types and use of portable fire extinguishers with their limitations.
- Know causes of fire.
- Know how to prevent fire occurrence.
- Know how to fight fires, at incipient stage.
- Emergency management and natural disaster response.
- Security operations in industry and access control.
- Community liason, development and crisis management.
- Journey management.
- HSE auditing.
- HSE management system implementation.
- Know the applicable ISO Standards.
- Understand the difference and similarities between ISO OHSAS 18001 and ISO 45001.
- Become familiar with the ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems.
The highly prestigious University of Nigeria Diploma certificate is awarded to you on successful completion of a course or program. The certificate gives you an edge by improving your market value and employability in top level organizations.
UNN Online Course
The HSE Level 1 course qualification focuses on impacting the knowledge and skills, as well as, the principles and practices of industrial safety, environmental protection and occupational health.
UNN Online Course
The HSE Level 2 course is designed to help improve the workplace culture by enabling learners to understand the fundamental principles of risk assessment.
UNN Online Course
This HSE level 3 course teaches the HSE Management System which is based on the ISO 14001 and 18001 Management Systems. It Emphasizes on the Hazards and Effect Management Process, which is the heart of a HSE-Management System.
UNN Online Course
This HSE Level 4 course gives a deeper insight into the HSE Management System. It deals on quality management system for managing risks within the company to assure the protection of people, assets, reputation, and the protection of the environment.
UNN Online Course
Occupational health is a means of protecting and maintaining the physical, psychological and social health of workers and their families. Learn about occupational health by studying this online course.
Program Prerequisites / Requirements
This program is designed for those who aspire to be involved in this sector as well as professionals. Graduates of Universities are eligible to register for this program, and complete/pass all the courses. NCE and HND holders with a minimum of 3 years working experience, especially in the petroleum industry will be considered. WAEC holders or equivalent, can enroll and do individual modules.