About this Course
Renewable energy offers three distinct advantages to developing countries: it enhances power supply, generates much needed income as well entrepreneurial opportunities, and helps the issues associated with the carbon emissions. It uses natural resources such as sunlight, wind, tides and geothermal heat which are naturally replenished.
The course teaches the fundamentals, of the different renewable energy technologies, wind, solar, bioenergy, hydro, and geothermal energy. It offers an indepth overview of renewable energy technologies and applications; as well as information on the costs of different renewable energy technologies. Discussion regarding common technical and non-technical barriers and issues limiting wide spread use/dissemination of renewable energy have been included.
Most forms of renewable energy are cheap to operate, but relatively expensive to install, as they have to take quite dispersed energy and concentrate it into a useful form
Students will study the following modules.
- Module 1: Renewable Energy Technology
- Module 2: Renewable Energy Management & Efficiency
- Module 3: Energy Efficiency, Finance & Electric Power Management.
- Module 4: Global Energy Resources & Management
- Module 5: Global Energy Policy and Carbon Markets
The aims of the present module are as to:
- Enable understanding of renewable energy in the broadest terms;
- Present the different technology options that fall within the definition of renewable energy, in a developing country context.
- Provide an overview of the different renewable energy technologies and their applications.
- Show the strengths and weaknesses of renewable energy technologies.
- Outline the expected costs for different renewable energy technologies.
- Review the issues affecting effective deployment of renewable energy systems.
- Emphasize the importance of Wind, Solar, Hydro and Biogas, renewable energy technologies as important alternative energy sources that create jobs, wealth, businesses, enhance the economy and contribute to overall energy mix, in a region, notorious for ‘epileptic’ power supply, while helping to address the green house emission challenge.
[NB: Note the slight change in PGD title from ‘Renewable Energy & Efficiency’ to “Renewable Energy Technology & Efficiency ”].
The present module attempts to achieve the following learning outcomes. Students will be able:
- To be able to define the different key renewable energy technologies.
- To have a broad appreciation of the potential applications for renewable energy technologies.
- To understand the strengths and weaknesses of the different renewable energy technologies and hence to have a better grasp of the benefits of renewable energy.
- To understand the economic implications of the different technologies.
- To gain an appreciation of the issues and barriers that renewable energy projects face.
The highly prestigious University of Nigeria Diploma certificate is awarded to you on successful completion of a course or program. The certificate gives you an edge by improving your market value and employability in top level organizations.
Course Prerequisites / Requirements
This course is designed for those who aspire to be involved in this sector as well as professionals. Graduates of Universities are eligible to register for this Post Graduate Diploma program, and complete/pass all the modules. NCE and HND holders with a minimum of 3 years working experience, especially in the petroleum industry will be considered. WAEC holders or equivalent, can enroll and do individual modules, as “diplomas”.