About this Course
The course, GSP 1O1, Study Skills and Basic Research Method, is a first semester course designed to remedy the pre-entry deficiencies of the students in reading skill and spoken English, and situate their Use of English Programme in the overall context of the Nigerian linguistic environment. Furthermore, the course will help the students to develop appropriate skills and competencies which they need to function effectively in their various disciplines. The course will also help the students to acquire the rudiments of research and develop analytical mind and summary techniques in the use of English language by exposing them to standard works of literature. The course is divided into six modules with many study sessions.
• Module one discusses the meaning, characteristics and functions of language as well as the levels and varieties of English.
• Module two concerns itself with the vocabulary of English.
• Module three deals with the study skills/techniques.
• Module four discusses reading skills.
• Module five centres on the speech sounds of English, their articulation and phonemic transcription.
• Finally, module six is on basic research methods.
Course Prerequisites / Requirements
This course is designed for students of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. It is meant for newly admitted students (First year students) of concerned departments and faculties. However, some departments opt to have their students take this course in their second year. The course is designed to run for a semester. Normally, students of each participating departments are assigned to a particular lecturer of the unit who registers, gives out term paper / seminar topics and continuous assignments as well as oversees the grading of such. With the transition to online, this norm still applies, albeit more streamlined. As a registered student of this course, all learning materials of the course are made available to you on this platform. You must study consistently and conscientiously, the entire course material, attempt and submit all course assignments punctually.